There is no other way to say it, this is a deep IDP class in 2017. While there are not a ton of elite DTs there is a deep pool of 4-3 defensive ends coming out and plenty of quality linebackers to consider. The best part of this IDP class could well be the safeties. They are deep and talented and were picked as high as #6 in the draft this year. Here’s my list of draftable safeties and when I would take them in dynasty rookie drafts.
- Jamal Adams, SS NYJ – Reports out of New York is that Adams may be the best player on the team right out of the gate. That may not be saying much given the Jets recent roster purge, but it says a ton about Adams’ fantasy prospects. He’s a dynamic player at the most lucrative position in the defensive backfield. I would not be shy about picking him up if you need safety help.
- Jabrill Peppers, SS CLE – Peppers is an outstanding athlete that could also return kicks and play on offense once in a while. On a team that is young and talented, Peppers could stand out. While this is a high pick for a safety, if he continues to show well in camp I would not have trouble taking him in the third.
- Malik Hooker, FS IND – Free safety is usually not quite as productive as strong safety because they are out of the action a bit on the field. Hooker is worth a look though as he’s a rangy guy from a well coached big time program in Ohio State.
- Budda Baker, S ARI – It’s unclear which safety position Baker will play and he’s the first on this list that may not be on the field all the time, but he’s a talented safety that should develop into a quality IDP starter. If he starts at strong safety, he’s a no-brainer in round 4.
- Justin Evans, SS TB – Will play behind Chris Conte at strong safety in a developing defense. It’s possible that Evans can beat Conte in training camp but if he doesn’t, Conte is still not long for this starting role. Evans is one of those guys you pick in the fifth and three years later are so glad you did.
Quality Free Agents Worth Considering
- Obi Melifonwu, FS OAK – Will develop at Oakland but at Free Safety he’s not as interesting as others on this list
- Marcus May, FS NYJ – May start as a rookie beside Adams but will not be nearly as productive
- Josh Jones, S GB – He’s considered for three safety packages in GB so will see the field a bit but still has Morgan Burnett and Ha Ha Clinton-Dix in front of him